Sunday 29 August 2010

Ecumenism as she is spoke.

I was leafing through my parents' Life and Work (the magazine of the Church of Scotland - a bit like the Church Times, but a glossy monthly), and - in between an enjoyably snark correspondence about Latin grammar, I noticed an ad for guided retreats for clergy (and indeed for laity) conducted by Jesuits on Iona.

It's tempting to wring one's hands about the state of ecumenism - I was feeling depressed about it myself. after reading correspondence in the Church Times about ARCIC and the ordination of women - but for all the scandalous divisions afflicting us and the small likelihood of reunion this millenium, it's worth remembering things have changed.  It's not so long, really, since it would never have occurred to any of the SJ to place an ad there.  And it's also, in the grand scheme of things, striking that they think there's a market for guided retreats in the Kirk...

No comments:

Post a Comment